AARP Tax-Aide at the Library
- Free service to taxpayers with middle and low incomes is available in the library from mid-February through mid-April.
- Make appointments, typically on Monday and Friday mornings, starting in February.
- Call the Adult Services Desk at 630/887-8760 ext. 239 to make an appointment.
- If you need to make an appointment for a different day of the week, try one of the other AARP tax preparation sites.
Other Tax Preparation Assistance
College of DuPage
- Free assistance with electronic filing of state and federal tax returns on Saturday mornings from March through mid-April on the main campus, 425 Fawell Blvd. in Glen Ellyn.
- Students in Accounting 2200, under instructor supervision, will help students, staff, and community members electronically file 1040, IL 1040, and Schedules A and B forms. Free assistance is also provided for schedules C-EZ and small Schedule Ds (three items or less).
- Participants must bring tax information, the previous year’s return, and account numbers if participants would like direct deposit.
- For more information, call 630/942-2140.
- The Center for Economic Progress (CEP) and Ladder Up will provide free income tax counseling and electronic filing for families with annual incomes less than $50,000 and individuals with annual incomes less than $25,000.
- Volunteer tax preparers assist in filing federal and state income tax returns for the year 2015, and, in some cases, for prior years. The closest site is DeVry Education Group, 3005 Highland Pkwy., Downers Grove.
- Sites are open on Saturdays from February through mid-April.
Each year, the library distributes tax forms sent to us by the federal government and the state of Illinois. The library receives supplies of three federal IRS forms with instructions: 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ. To order paper copies of forms and booklets, call 800/829-3676 or order paper copies online.
Forms and Publications Online
Provides free federal income tax preparation and electronic filing for eligible taxpayers through a partnership between the Internal Revenue Service and the Free File Alliance LLC, a group of private sector tax software companies. Many companies offer free or paid state tax preparation and e-filing services. Some companies may not offer state tax preparation and e-file services for all states.
All Illinois tax filers can file for free at MyTax Illinois.
Federal - 800/829-1040
- Individual Returns
- Teletax Information Line, Refund Status, and Recorded Information
- Business Returns
- Forms and Publications
State - 800/732-8866
- Illinois Tax Returns (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Forms and Publications
Local - 630/493-5291
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center
2001 Butterfield Road (Mega Site/Esplanade Building, 12th Floor)
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (closed on federal holidays)