The 1840s and 1850s saw an influx of German immigrants to the U.S. Fred and Sophie Andermann followed that path emigrating in 1850 to become early settlers of Lace. Lace was a prosperous farming community whose commercial center was “the point.” “The point” boasted a blacksmith shop, a post office, a general store and creamery. The "point" is now known as the “Triangle” formed by the intersections of Cass Avenue, Plainfield Road and 75th Street.
The early settlers' first project was to build a church. The history of present day St. John’s Lutheran church dates back to the early settlement of Lace. The Doings October 8, 2009, page 12 article St. John's Celebrates 150-years provides an excellent overview of the church's early beginnings. For a more detailed history read the St. John Lutheran Church entry.
Post WW II social changes impacted the Lace community. Farming was no longer as profitable as it had been. With the growth of automobiles and roads, Chicagoans began to move out from the city to purchase farmland for development. Many of the Lace farms were sold to developers who created Marion Hills, and the subdivisions of Brookhaven, Clairfield and Hinsbrook.
Be sure to read the entry on Old Lace School Museum to learn more about the one room schoolhouse that served the Lace community for many years. View the Andermann Family and the Village of Lace set on Flickr.