Are you an Indian Prairie Public Library Teen going into grades 7-12? Are you looking for a fun way to earn service hours, get job experience or make a difference in your community this summer? You should apply to be a Summer VolunTEEN.
Who can apply?
All teens entering 7th-12th grade are eligible to apply for one or more of the VolunTEEN positions listed below.
How many hours can I work?
We require all volunteers to complete a certain amount of hours dependent on the position. This could be as few as 4 hours up to 10. Please read the volunteer position descriptions carefully to find out how many you will need to complete.
How do I apply?
Download and complete one of the applications listed below and return it to the second floor Ask Us desk. Paper applications are also available at the library. The library will accept applications through May 21, 2016 or until the positions are filled whichever comes first.
Note: Applications for the Registration VolunTEENs will not be available until June and will be accepted through July 16, 2016.
2016 VolunTEEN Positions:
Chess coaches will help experienced players improve their game, and teach new players the basics. Volunteers are expected to set up before and clean up after chess tutoring. Coaches must be able to commit to working a minimum of 6 sessions throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Book Buddies (FULL)
Book Buddies are paired with elementary-grade readers to help them become better at reading aloud. Book Buddies must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
STEM Buddies (FULL)
STEM stands for "Science," "Technology," "Engineering," and "Math." STEM Buddies are paired with a child in grades 3-5 to help them learn and strengthen their skills in these areas by engaging their "buddy" in fun and interactive STEM related activities. STEM Buddies must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Garden Buddies (FULL)
Garden Buddies partner with a student in grades 1-6 to take care of the IPPL community garden patches and complete related science, math, and art activities. Garden Buddies must be able to commit to a minimum of 7 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Registration VolunTEENS help hand out prizes for the Summer Reading Challenge, collect forms, and enter registration information into the computer. VolunTEENS should plan to work at the library 2 times during prize week, August 1 – 6, 2016. A minimum commitment of 4 hours is required. This position is great for anyone looking for a few volunteer hours this summer. Applications for this position will be made available at the beginning of June.
Benefits of the VolunTEEN program:
- It's fun!
- If you complete your required service time, you can come to the VolunTEEN Party.
- Your work serves people of all ages and is a valuable contribution to the community.
- You may fulfill service hours for school, confirmation, honor society and other organizations.
- You are eligible to receive letters of recommendation for job references, honor society, as well as school and community awards.
- Qualify for community service scholarships.
- You are gaining valuable job experience if you do your job properly. You have the opportunity to demonstrate good attendance, dependability, creativity and interpersonal skills while you work with us.
Additional Information about the VolunTEEN program:
- Registration Desk VolunTEENs will be assigned hours on a first come-first serve basis.
- Book Buddies, STEM Buddies, Garden Buddies, and Chess Coaches assignments will be confirmed by the VolunTEEN coordinators via phone.
- Due to the limited number of positions available for certain jobs, you may be asked to choose an alternate position if your first choice has filled.
- VolunTEENs may work only the hours assigned to them.
- All requests for written recommendations or confirmation of hours completed will require one week to process.
*This page formerly stated that we would post the VolunTEEN Applications on April 1. We pushed the date back to coincide with the Teen Job Fair on April 9. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.