Are you an Indian Prairie Public Library Teen going into grades 7-12? Are you looking for a fun way to earn service hours, get job experience or make a difference in your community this summer? You should apply to be a Summer VolunTEEN.
Who can apply?
All teens entering 7th-12th grade are eligible to apply for one or more of the VolunTEEN positions listed below.
How many hours do I need to volunteer for?
The library requires all VolunTEENs to complete 10 hours, including a mandatory training, during the Summer Reading Challenge, which runs from June - July.
How do I apply?
Download and complete one of the applications listed below and return it to the second floor Ask Us desk. Paper applications are also available at the library. The library will accept applications through May 15 or until the positions are filled whichever comes first.
2016 VolunTEEN Positions:
Applications will be posted April 1.
Registration Desk volunteers help register children and adults for the summer reading program, hand out prizes and may help with preparing craft materials for upcoming programs and other projects in the Library. Volunteers should plan on working at the library 2 hours per week. Registration VolunTEENs must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours between June 10 and August 11. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Chess coaches will help experienced players improve their game, and teach new players the basics. Volunteers are expected to set up before and clean up after chess tutoring. Coaches must be able to commit to working a minimum of 7 sessions throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Book Buddies are paired with elementary-grade readers to help them become better at reading aloud. Book Buddies must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
STEM stands for "Science," "Technology," "Engineering," and "Math." STEM Buddies are paired with a child in grades 3-5 to help them learn and strengthen their skills in these areas by engaging their "buddy" in fun and interactive STEM related activities. STEM Buddies must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Benefits of the VolunTEEN program:
- It's fun!
- If you complete 10 hours of service time, you can come to the VolunTEEN Party.
- Your work serves people of all ages and is a valuable contribution to the community.
- You may fulfill service hours for school, confirmation, honor society and other organizations.
- You are eligible to receive letters of recommendation for job references, honor society, as well as school and community awards.
- Qualify for community service scholarships.
- You are gaining valuable job experience if you do your job properly. You have the opportunity to demonstrate good attendance, dependability, creativity and interpersonal skills while you work with us.
Additional Information about the VolunTEEN program:
- After attending one of the mandatory orientation sessions, Registration Desk VolunTEENs will be assigned hours on a first come-first serve basis.
- Book Buddies, STEM Buddies, and Chess Coaches assignments will be confirmed by the VolunTEEN coordinators via phone.
- Due to the limited number of positions available for certain jobs, you may be asked to choose an alternate position if your first choice has filled.
- VolunTEENs may work only the hours assigned to them.
- All requests for written recommendations or confirmation of hours completed will require one week to process.