Where is the nearest post office?
- Westmont Post Office: 630/968-0855, 5707 S. Cass Ave., Westmont, IL 60559-9998, Mon.-Fri. 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Sat. 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun. Closed.
- Clarendon Hills Post Office: 630/323-0309, 312 Park Ave., Clarendon Hills, IL 60514-9998, Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Sun. Closed.
- Hinsdale Post Office: 630/323-1490, 109 Symonds Dr., Hinsdale, IL 60521-3763, Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Sun. Closed.
Where is the nearest Driver's License facility?
- Lombard: 630/629-8305, 837 S. Westmore B27, Lombard, IL 60148, Sun.-Mon. Closed, Tues.-Fri. 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Sat. 7:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Naperville: 630/355-9815, 931 W. 75th St., Ste. 161, Naperville, IL 60565, Sun.-Mon. Closed, Tues.-Fri. 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Sat. 7:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Bridgeview: 708/598-9265, 7358 W. 87th St., Bridgeview, IL 60455, Sun. Closed, Mon.-Fri. 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Sat. Closed.
Who are my elected government officials?To search for all your elected officials, visit the DuPage County Election Commission and search by name or address.
Where is the nearest bookstore?
Amazing Grace Bookstore: 16 S Prospect Ave., Clarendon Hills, IL 60514 630/323-4673
Anderson's Bookshops: 5112 Main St., Downers Grove, IL 60515 630/963-2665
Barbara's Bookstore: 810 Village Center Dr., Burr Ridge, IL 60527 630/920-1500
Barnes & Noble: 631 E. Boughton Rd. #100, Bolingbrook, IL 60440 630/783-0009
Barnes & Noble: 297 Oakbrook Ctr., Oak Brook, IL 60523 630/684-0586
Brain Snacks: 5239 Carpenter St., Downers Grove, IL 60515 630/241-1040
Frugal Muse Books: 7511 Lemont Rd. #146, Darien, IL 60561 630/427-1140
Half Price Books: 14 Countryside Plz., Countryside, IL 60525 708/579-1770
A Novel Experience: 8 N. Cass Ave., Westmont, IL 60559 630/968-2225
Where can I get help with filling out the Benefit Access application (formerly Circuit Breaker)?The Illinois Circuit Breaker form has been replaced by a program called Benefit Access. Changes include the termination of Illinois Care RX and Circuit Breaker Property Tax Relief. Senior Free Transit and the License Plate discount are still available online as Benefit Access. The following locations can assist with filling out the application:
Hanna Benioff of Downers Grove Township will help people fill out this application. People must make an appointment by calling 630/719-6682. She only works Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The Senior Homestead Exemption is still available through Downers Grove Township.
Woodridge Community Center will also help people with filling out the new Benefit Access program application. They need to bring a copy of their tax return, and they must call ahead to make an appointment. 2600 Center Drive, Woodridge, Illinois 60517 630/620-2424
Another source of help is the Downers Grove Park District Active Adult Center (SHIP volunteers) at 935 Maple Avenue, Lincoln Center, Downers Grove IL 60515. Phone: 630/963-1314.
The Westmont Park District 630/969-8080 and Hinsdale Community House 630/323-7500 offer assistance as well.
Where can I get information on services for seniors?http://ippl.info/seniors/resources-a-services
Where can I get information on shelters and subsidized housing?http://ippl.info/research/local-resources#shelters
Where are the local food pantries?
Where can I get a free discount prescription card?
Where can I get help with paying my utility bill?
LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) is administered through Downers Grove Township at 630/719-6610
Where can I get food stamps or information on SNAP?The Illinois Department of Human Services administers the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly called food stamps) in which recipients are issued a Link card for food purchases. Assistance ranges from $200 a month to more than $1,000.
DHS Family Community Resource Center in DuPage County
Family Community Resource Center
146 W Roosevelt Rd, Suite 2
Villa Park, IL 60181
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday (except state holidays)
Where can I recycle?
Where can I get information on housing?http://ippl.info/research/local-resources#shelters
Where can I get information on volunteering?http://ippl.info/research/local-resources#Volunteering
Where can I get rankings of local schools?http://schools.chicagotribune.com/
Where can I get help finding a job?http://ippl.info/research/jobs-a-careers#community
Where can I get help with my taxes?http://ippl.info/research/tax-help
Where can I vacation close to home?http://ippl.info/research/travel#Local
Where can I get reviews of local businesses or services (e.g. plumbers, electricians, etc.)?The library has a magazine and database called Chicago Consumers' Checkbook which reviews Chicago-area businesses.
Where are nearby swimming pools?
- Woods Pool (Burr Ridge Park District), 711 Tomlin Drive, Burr Ridge, IL 630/920-1969
- Cypress Cove Family Aquatic Park (a facility of the Woodridge Park District) 8301 S. Janes Ave., Woodridge, IL 60517
Sunday-Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
630/985-5620 (in-season) 630/353-3300 (off-season)
- Oak Brook Park District Indoor/Outdoor Family Aquatics Center
1450 Forest Gate Road, Oak Brook, IL 60523
- Pelican Harbor Indoor/Outdoor Aquatic Park
200 S. Lindsey Ln., Bolingbrook, IL 60440
Where is the closest Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) counseling site?
Downers Grove Park District--Lincoln Center
935 Maple Avenue
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Peace Memorial Manor
3737 Highland Ave.
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Where can I get help preparing for the GED?
- College of DuPage Adult Education and ESL Office 425 Fawell Blvd. Glen Ellyn, IL 60137 Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 1110, (630) 942-3697 Fax: (630) 942-3804
- People's Resource Center with locations in Westmont and Wheaton (630) 682-5402
How can I find the local sales tax rates?