Planning for the Future
As we know, the library is continually evolving. To aid in determining where to focus our energy, time and resources, the library staff and trustees have developed a strategic plan that will guide the library during the next three fiscal years 2015 - 2018.
The process started fall 2014 as we gathered information from over 1,200 residents via a community survey, held staff and trustee focus groups, interviewed a number of leaders in the community, examined library usage and studied community trends.
We identified five key priorities and developed goals to move those priorities forward over the next three years. The staff has developed an internal implementation plan with actions and timelines that will be reviewed on a regular basis to monitor progress. But this plan, like our other plans in the past, is a living document and will be reviewed and adjusted annually to ensure the library is responsive to its community.
Feedback from our community, trustees and staff:
We enrich peoples’ lives by providing opportunities to explore, connect, and be inspired.
Our community depends upon the Indian Prairie Public Library District as a vital and trusted resource for achieving personal goals and enhancing quality of life. With a welcoming environment and state-of-the-art services, the library is an essential center of learning, inspiration, and community pride.
Key Priorities and Supporting Goals
- Deliver an exceptional user experience by ensuring the library is friendly and welcoming to all. The library will continually adapt to meet the needs and interests of our community so that residents consider the library essential, useful and easy to use.
- User experience philosophy and concepts are integrated into library practices.
- Input from our community drives our services.
- The facility is attractive and comfortable and patrons are easily able to find what they want. Patrons use the building for a wide variety of needs and enjoy spending time at the library.
- Library online services are highly used and valued by our residents.
- We ensure ease of access to library services.
- Inspire discovery and creativity and, with state-of-the-art services and materials, provide opportunities for lifelong learning and enjoyment.
- The library fosters a love of reading for learning and enjoyment.
- The library provides ways for patrons to easily explore our collections and discover materials that spark their interest.
- The library provides residents opportunities for learning, exploration, creativity and enjoyment.
- The library introduces new technologies to the community and provides opportunities for residents to experiment with technology as well as receive instruction and assistance.
- The library supports the cultural diversity of our community through services and resources.
- Enhance community engagement by taking library services beyond our walls and by building relationships. As a community center, bring people together to share ideas, skills and knowledge.
- The library is visible in the community.
- The library creates partnerships throughout the community that provide mutual benefits and enhance the community.
- The library provides opportunities for residents to gather at the library as well as activities that feature the community.
- Practice exceptional organizational stewardship by managing library staff, volunteers, the facility, technology and funding to ensure our mission, vision and strategic goals and to support our progressiveness and our responsiveness to the community.
- The library provides a collaborative, supportive workplace and staff are confident in their ability to serve our members and guests.
- The building is designed to meet a wide variety of needs and is attractive and well-maintained. The library continues to implement environmental stewardship strategies.
- Technology is continually evaluated and updated to effectively support library services and provide the greatest efficiencies and cost savings.
- The library maintains a strong financial base and continually evaluates the best ways to manage finances.
- Inspire the community to explore the full range of library services. We want to ensure our residents are knowledgeable about the services offered by the library and consider the library a community asset and trusted resource for enhancing their quality of life.
- Staff develop a variety of ways to showcase the library.
- Residents are aware of the variety of ways the library can enhance their lives.
- Residents who don’t pay taxes to a library understand how they can receive library services and see the value of purchasing a library card.
- Community stakeholders are well-informed about library services and accomplishments.
- Library communication methods are continually evaluated as to their effectiveness.