What is Write-On?
Write-On is a series of writing events for teens. Every fall the library hosts:
- A writing contest for fanfiction, poetry/song lyrics, and short stories
- A writing workshop
- A young adult author visit. This year we welcome Nic Stone. Past authors have included Julie Murphy, Jason Reynolds, A. S. King, Barry Lyga, John Green, and more.
Who can participate?
Cool Compositions and writing workshop are open to students in grades 7-12 with an Indian Prairie Public Library card or who attend a school within the Indian Prairie Public Library district.
All community members are invited to attend the author visit.
Why should you participate?
To have fun! To create! To dare! To dream! To win fantastic prizes!
Submit your original short stories, fanfiction, and/ or poetry and song lyrics for a chance at cash prizes. Entries will be accepted September 16 - October 14. First, second, and third place winners in each category will be announced November 7 at An Evening with Nic Stone. Entry forms are available below.
Writing Workshop Here We Are: Tell Your Story!
Monday, September 17, 6-7:30 p.m. at Hinsdale South High School (7401 Clarendon Hills Rd., Darien, IL)
Author and editor Kelly Jensen will share tips to encourage teen writers to think outside the box in their writing. Teens will have time to write and learn about places to publish their work. Register online
An Evening with Nic Stone
Wednesday, November 7, 7-8:30 p.m at Indian Prairie Public Library
Join us for an evening with New York Times bestselling author Nic Stone as she talks about writing, the life of an author, and her inspiration. Books will be available for purchase. Cool Compositions prizes will be awarded. Register online
- Submissions open Sunday, September 16 at 1 p.m.
- Original short stories and fanfiction must be 2,000-6,000 words. Poetry and song lyrics may be any length. All words must be your own.
- Entrants may enter up to 3 submissions in each category.
- Entries must be typed, double spaced, and in a 12 point font. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation will count.
- Please submit online entries as a Word (.docx) file.
How can I find out more?
Write-On is sponsored by The Gift of Carl Foundation.